Nice terror attack: Third person arrested after three killed in church stabbing

A third person has been arrested in connection with the Nice terror attack, according to Reuters.

Three people were killed on Thursday in the attack at the Notre Dame church in the southern city.

A police source told Reuters that the latest arrest took place on Friday. The person being held is said to be a 35-year-old Nice resident suspected of meeting with the presumed attacker the day before the atrocity.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Nice terror attack: Third person arrested after three killed in church stabbing

The two previously arrested were 21-year-old suspect Brahim Aouissaoui, and a 47-year-old man who was detained on suspicion of having been in contact with Aouissaoui.

France’s President Emmanuel Macron deployed thousands of soldiers to protect sites including places of worship and schools following the attack.

Tunisian Aouissaoui was reportedly unknown to security services, having arrived in Europe by boat last month.

Tensions have been rising in France around cartoons of the Prophet Muhammad which Muslims say are offensive.

The attack in Nice occurred almost two weeks after Samuel Paty – a teacher in Paris – was decapitated by an 18-year-old Chechen after showing pupils a cartoon in a lesson on freedom of expression.

Nice terror attack: Third person arrested after three killed in church stabbing

France has been the location of a string of terrorist attacks in recent years.

There have been protests around the world in countries like Lebanon, Pakistan, Bangladesh and Somalia, with calls to boycott French products.

Following the attack, president Macron said: “We will not give any ground.”

He added that France had been attacked “over our values, for our taste for freedom, for the ability on our soil to have freedom of belief”.

Source