County Cork: Father and two sons die in suspected murder-suicide shooting in Ireland

A father and two sons have been found dead in a suspected murder-suicide in County Cork, Ireland.

Officers were called to the property in Kanturk at around 6.30am on Monday after a woman in her 60s reported a gun had been fired in her home.

Police negotiators tried to make contact with anyone inside the property before approaching the house after 1pm.

There they discovered the body of a man in his 20s in a bedroom.

After an aerial search, the bodies of another man in his 20s and a man in his 50s were later found on adjoining land in the northeast of the county.

The men have been named locally as brothers Diarmuid and Mark O’Sullivan and father Tadgh.

All three were from one family, and all had suffered gunshot wounds, Garda Superintendent Adrian Gamble confirmed.

Gardai have said they are not looking for anyone else in relation to the incident.

Describing how the incident unfolded, Mr Gamble said: “A female in her 60s alerted neighbours that a firearm had been discharged at her home.

“Gardai were then informed that three males were present in the house, and that one may have suffered gunshot wounds.

“Throughout the course of the morning and early afternoon, Garda negotiators attempted to make contact with people that may have been in the house.

“Shortly after 1pm, members of the emergency response unit approached the house and sadly, the body of a male in his 20s, with a gunshot wound was discovered in a bedroom. No other people were present.”

He added that a number of firearms were found at the scene and seized.

A full investigation has been launched, with the state pathologist and Garda Technical Bureau both expected to visit the scene.

Local Fianna Fail councillor Pat Hayes said the shootings had left the community “numb”.

“It’s a tragedy for the family. Our thoughts, sympathies and prayers go out to them at this very difficult time.

“It has come as a real shock to the community. We’re a very close-knit community here and to be honest with you, everyone is just numb.”

Fine Gael councillor John Paul O’Shea said: “Everyone is deeply saddened and shocked by this tragedy.

“My thoughts go out to the family and the wider community of Castlemagner and Kanturk as they come to terms with this unimaginable loss.

“There is a strong and determined community spirit in Castlemagner and the community there I know will rally around their families, neighbours and friends in the coming days as they deal with this tragic loss.”

An appeal has been made for witnesses or anyone with information to contact the investigating Gardai at Mallow Garda Station on 022 31450, the Garda Confidential Line on 1800 666 111 or any Garda station

Source